BACOLOD CITY -- Two convicts from Negros Occidental, who were released after availing of the Good Conduct Time Allowance (GCTA), have surrendered to the police as of Monday afternoon.
Lt. Col. Adrian Acollador, deputy police provincial director for administration, said in a press briefing on Tuesday the two former prisoners surrendered for monitoring and inventory.
“We took their contact numbers and details of the disposition of their cases, and coordinated with the Bureau of Corrections,” he said.
Moises Tribunalo, released on April 9, 2019, surrendered to Calatrava Municipal Police Station on Monday.
Tribunalo, a resident of Barangay Maaslob, Calatrava was sentenced for homicide on November 15, 2010 by the Regional Trial Court Branch 57 in San Carlos City. He was released on April 9 this year.
Meanwhile, Jose Elisa Jr. turned himself in at La Castellana Municipal Police Station also on Monday.
He was sentenced on April 14, 2016 for frustrated homicide by the RTC Branch 63 in La Carlota City and was sent to the National Bilibid Prison on October 18, 2016. Elisa was released on April 6 this year.
Last week, President Rodrigo Duterte ordered the arrest of 1,914 heinous crime convicts freed early based on a wrong interpretation of the Good Conduct Time Allowance (RA 10592) law for committing the crime of evasion of a sentence.
The Chief Executive gave the convicts, who have been “unlawfully” released since 2014 based on good conduct, to turn themselves in within 15 days.
Earlier, Interior Secretary Eduardo Año and Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra have created a joint committee “to review the Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) and the Uniform Policy and Guidelines on the computation of credits and allowances provided under Republic Act 10592.”
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.(PNA)